Name your business eCommerce is the most important thing for your business. It’s the key to success. Once you have a name for your business, get started and see how it allows you to succeed. Many books and articles are written about eCommerce, but this one is specific to the UK. If you’re looking to start up, you should read it first because it will be very important to understand what sets your business apart from other businesses.
What is e-Commerce?
Ecommerce is selling products and services online. It allows you to sell your products and services in a way that has never been done before. People are buying things online every day, and it’s increasing every year as more people become accustomed to shopping on the internet. If you want to take advantage of this market, you need to learn how e-commerce works.
There are many types of ecommerce businesses, but Next, a popular online retailer, has done a great job of explaining the differences between them.
Types of eCommerce businesses:
- B2B – Business to business is when you sell products and services to other companies. This is usually not as profitable as selling to consumers because more intermediaries are involved in the process. It’s also difficult to get your product into the hands of consumers if you’re going through another company. However, it’s still a great way to sell your products and services.
- B2C – Business to consumer is when you sell directly to the consumer. This means that you don’t have any middlemen between your product and the consumer. It also means that you can reach more consumers than other eCommerce businesses because there are no companies involved.
- P2P – person to person is when you sell your products and services directly to another person. This means that you’re selling the product or service to someone who doesn’t have a company or business. It also means that you can reach more people than other eCommerce businesses because there are no companies involved.
- T2C – Transactional is when you sell physical goods online, and they are delivered to the consumer’s home.
- B2C2C – Business to the consumer to consumer is when you have one company that sells your product or service, and then the consumer sells it on to another person. This type of eCommerce business can be difficult because it involves many people between your product and the consumer.
Online retail sales grew to $531 billion in 2013, up from $351 billion in 2008. This is an increase of over 54% in just 5 years.
It’s expected that online retail sales will continue to grow rapidly as more people shop online and companies create websites for their products and services. However, some countries are slower than others when buying things online, and some countries are more likely to buy things online than others.
Why do you need a name for your business?
A name is what you call your business. It’s how you differentiate yourself from other businesses, and it’s how people will find you when they search for a product or service on the internet.
To be successful in eCommerce, you need to have a name that represents your business well. A good name should make it easy for people to find your website, and it should represent what your business does accurately; some good things to keep in mind when choosing a name for your business are:
- Your name should be easy to spell and pronounce.
- You want your name to be memorable so that people will remember it when they think of the product or service you offer.
- Make sure your domain is available (you don’t want someone else using it).
- Make sure your name is not too long. People will have a hard time remembering it if it’s too long.
- You want to be different from other businesses to stand out and be easily recognizable.
- Make sure your name doesn’t contain any illegal or offensive words or phrases.
- A good name for an eCommerce business is easy to remember, unique, represents what you do well, and is easy to spell and pronounce.
What is the difference between a brand and a name?
A brand is the name of your business, and a name is what you call your business. A brand can be thought of as a category representing the overall experience people have with your company, products, or services. A good example of this would be how Nike’s brand represents sportswear and sports shoes while Apple represents computers, software, and digital media devices.
A good way to think about brands is to compare them to people. Your name is your first and last name. If you were introducing yourself to someone, you would say your first and last name. That’s the same way a brand works. A brand represents what your business does as a whole, while a name is how you are referred to on an individual basis.
For example, if you met someone at a party who worked for Nike, they would introduce themselves by saying their full name.
What are the legal implications of a name?
A business name is intellectual property and needs to be registered. It’s important to register your business name because it gives you legal ownership over the name. Registering your business name will also protect you from anyone else using that same name or something similar. This means that if someone else is already using the same or a similar name, they will have to change their company’s name before doing any business.
This is also important because it makes it easier to protect your business name from any infringement.
When registering your business name, you will need to provide some information about yourself and the nature of your business. You will also need to pay a small fee to register your company’s name. Some companies charge more than others, but the fees are generally very reasonable. The registration process usually takes only a few days, so there isn’t a long wait.
What is a trademark?
A trademark is a name, symbol, or design that identifies the source of goods and services. For example, Nike’s swoosh logo is a trademark because it tells you that Nike makes the product. Trademarks can be wordmarks (text), slogans, logos, or designs. You register trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
A good way to think about trademarks is by comparing them to a street address. Your street address tells people where you live, but it also identifies your house from other houses on the block. This is similar to how trademarks identify a company and its products or services.
How do I register a trademark?
There are three steps in the trademark registration process:
It would help if you first decided what mark you wanted to use. Then, you will have to search the trademark database to make sure that no one else is already using it. Finally, you must apply with the USPTO and pay a fee for registration.
If someone else is already using your trademark, you will need to negotiate with them or apply for federal trademark registration to proceed with your business. You can also get a trademark on your own if you create it yourself.
You can also register a trademark by applying with the USPTO. This is the most common way to do it, but it does cost money. Suppose you are starting a business based on an idea or invention (as opposed to something physical). In that case, you will probably need to file for patent protection instead of trademark protection. See Nolo’s article, “Patents: What They Protect and How to Get One.”
How long does it take to get a trademark?
It takes to register a trademark, depending on how quickly you can complete the application process. The USPTO says that the average application is processed five months from start to finish. This means that you will have your registration in about six months if you fill out all forms and send them in as soon as possible.
The application process is very detailed. You will need to fill out every form completely and attach any necessary documents (such as copies of your business cards or marketing materials). It is good to talk with an attorney before starting the process.
How much does it cost to register a trademark?
Registering a trademark with the USPTO costs $325 per class of goods or services. You can file up to three classes at once for an additional fee. For example, if you are registering your name for use on clothing, and you also want to use it on jewellery, you would pay $325 for clothing and an additional $325 for jewellery. You can also file up to three more classes at a later date for another fee.
You will also have to pay a government filing fee, which is currently $225. To register your trademark with the USPTO, you will need to complete an application form and submit it along with a nonrefundable filing fee. The current fees are available on the USPTO website . You can also hire an attorney or agent to file your application for you. For more information about hiring an attorney or agent, see Nolo ‘s article Hiring a Trademark Attorney .
How do I keep someone from infringing on my trademark?
You have several options if someone is using your trademark without permission:
1. File a lawsuit in federal court (or state court if the infringement occurred within that state). This is a complicated process that requires you to prove that your trademark is distinctive and that the other person’s use of it will cause confusion among consumers.
2. Send a cease-and-desist letter to the infringer, giving them 30 days to stop using your mark. If the infringer continues using your mark after receiving this letter, you can file a lawsuit in federal court (or in state court if the infringement occurred within that state).